Thursday 7 October 2010

Mel at Work and Food Adventures



I had a rough start at work. The owners of the school wanted me to start teaching (5 year-olds) the very first day... so I didn't get trained like all the other teachers. My computer is in Korean, as is the printer and most other things at my school. This makes it really tough to function in the way I am used to. And oh man, I miss using my Mac. I have a PC in Korean to work with, which means I feel like a cave person! The school's just getting started so it doesn't have shoulders to stand on yet. I won't lie, it's been super stressful - something I had not anticipated in this whole mix. I never thought it was going to be easy, I knew it was going to be rough, but didn't consider it would be this rocky to start with. As I am getting to know the kids more and getting a routine down, it's gotten better; I am having fun at work being really silly with the kids. And seeing the kids progress is awesome! I finally got a little boy to use a "little a" and "little r" to spell his name instead of all capital letters! AWESOME!
I have explored on the weekends, mostly trying to figure out how to get household stuff and a dresser and the like. I got my arm stuck in a subway door the other day... you know in SF, if you set off the sensors of Bart doors (or any standard elevator doors) the doors open? Well, here in Seoul that is not the case. The train was so so crowded... I realized it was my stop (Chungjeongno) later than I should have, so I pushed through a bunch of people and dove for the door with my arm out. The doors slammed shut right on my arm. Then the train started to move!! OMG, what a stupid foreigner I was... Luckily, the people right in front of the door helped to pry the doors open just enough for me to squeeze my arm back in. Eeeekk. A frightening experience. Won't be doing that again. The subway is great, it runs all the time, and moves quickly so it's pretty simple to get around.
 
I eat lunch at my school everyday - a Korean meal! There's rice, kimchi and a brothy soup at every meal. One of my favorite side dishes so far has been raisins and sardines. Who knew? The other night I ate at a place that was so so tastey - probably my favorite meal in Korea so far. It was spicy (like most things) - a mix of chicken, sweet potato, noodles, rice noodle chunks (like the size of a mini-hot dog and solid, but chewy), cabbage, onions and cheese!!!
There are more foreigners and people who speak English than I had expected. Lots of teachers seem to be disenchanted with Korea and the Korean culture. Makes me sad to hear, and makes me wonder what my time here will be. Surprisingly, lots of foreigners I've met are picky about using forks instead of chop sticks, or eating certain kinds of Korean food. Fish and seafood are everywhere, so many of the markets, streets and restaurants smell like fish; how does one live here and not like seafood? Tomorrow I am going to eat* live octopus with Chris (*means I can't say I will be able to get it down. I like to think I am that cool... but, ya know... I might not be). That's it for now. Thanks for reading. Hope all is well. 
Cheers! 
Mel 



13 comments:

  1. Great to hear about how you're doing, Mel! So glad the kids you are working with are bringing you joy - even if the school administrators are causing you stress.

    The foreigners who are 'over' Korea are a familiar group to me. It is depressing. They don't seem to remember that it's all temporary and soon they'll just be another person in their home country. That's when they'll realize just how good they had it. Take my word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel
    I'm so happy that you're posting now. I think about you all the time and wonder how you're getting on. I know you to adapt to your surroundings well and find the joy in new experiences. So although it's not what your used to it's good that your finding the humor in it. The kids are absolutely adorable and look like the bright spot of your day.

    I look forward to future posts!
    Lots of love to you and Chris,
    Aunt Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mel, how intersting! I hope your arm is okay. Wow, you're so adventerous it's amazing and i am so proud of you! Lol, proud, i know that might sound weird, but seriously - you're totally out there giving it your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel and Chris,

    Happy to hear how things are going out there! I'm so excited for your adventures, culinary and such. Hope things get easier with the teaching, the beginnings are usually the hardest part, so hopefully it's all downhill from here.

    Miss you tons and lots of love x
    Mickie

    ps. looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mel and Chris!

    Thanks for the first update. I love the first picture, it completely reminds me of something that I would see in one of my textbooks from Teachers College (i.e. pre-school in three cultures).

    Sorry to hear about the beginning frustrations. Sometimes the best way to learn is through full immersion? Right?

    My best friend and have been taking about Korean food alot, so please continue to write about and post more food pics! I will vicariously eat this delicious sounding food until Jake and I have a chance to actually head over there.

    Best of luck with everything. Count your blessings, try to keep that novel feeling with you for as long as possible.

    Love,
    -robert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mel- Glad to hear things are going a bit smoother. Live Octopus? Hmmm? We already know how cool you are.

    Lots of love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, remember, you're cool even if you don't eat the live octopus! Your train story is terrifying. I'm glad things sound like they are getting a little easier at your school. It's great to hear how you're doing!

    Love,

    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you guys will do fine, it sounds like those other people who aren't liking Korea don't understand the point of living abroad - eating different foods, learning new skills, being in a foreign culture. But you guys are great at that! I think you guys are going to have an amazing time! Hope your school gets it act together soon.
    <3 rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah, now I don't have to pester you with emails every 2 days! I can't wait to read more about your adventures. When is a good time for me to come visit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to hear from all of you! Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's a little piece of home for me:) I am scouting out a new camera right now, and hope to have it within the coming weeks. I hope to take more pics and post them. BTW, I just started learning Hangeul - I can write my name (γ…γ…‘λΌλ‹ˆ). I miss you all!

    P.S. "MS and SS" I assume is Miriam and Sam? Chris and I have time off at Christmas and then a week off or so in late July/August. This winter we plan to head south (Vietnam probably, but not sure), it will be ass-cold here.... Otherwise, let me talk to Chris about when would be good for you two to come visit. When were you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear how the octopus went! And I love your food and travel descriptions...the trains in London are the same way--I once saw a kid get stuck in the doors and everybody was flipping out and pushing the emergency alarms and trying to pry the doors open...it was crazy intense. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel what an intense story about the train. I'm glad that the other passengers helped you out. I love that you can already write your name...that Korean computer must be paying off :). Looking forward to more photos! hang in there

    xx
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris it is so good to hear from you! I am glad you and Mel are having a blast. I love the photos and the good news. Hope to hear from ya soon.
    LOVE MUCH XOXOXO

    your little cuz,
    JAMES PETERSON

    ReplyDelete